Top holiday destinations that cater for golfers
Golf is synonymous with luxury, elegance and good taste. It’s no surprise that some of the top holiday destinations in the world feature premium golfing estates or property in close proximity to luxurious golfing greens. But what makes a golf course special when choosing a holiday spot?
Holidays are all about experiencing the very best in all things. Playing golf is a well-known pastime to relax in a luxurious setting. That’s when scenery comes into play. At a glance, golfing may seem like ‘just a sport’, but on closer inspection golfing is a chance to immerse ourselves in the atmosphere of our spectacular surroundings during our holiday getaway.
Many well-known golfers have gone on record, stating that a golf course should be an ‘experience’. The sights, sounds, smells – all senses should be indulged for an ultimate luxury game. We’ve chosen to highlight two top holiday destinations that feature magnificent golfing opportunities. Both destinations feature absolutely spectacular views, ocean air and an array of local flora and fauna…
‘It’s the ultimate luxury sport, people travel to South Africa from all corners of the globe for it’s luxurious golfing greens.’
Two of the best top holiday destinations with optional luxury golfing amenities:
1. Pezula Golf Estate offers pristine fairways and greens rolling through ‘the jewel of the Garden Route’ known as the town of Knysna. Being situated on both a lagoon and the ocean, Knysna is a spectacular natural wonder with local animal life and mountain fynbos that’s t found anywhere else in the world. This golf course is an award-winning 18-hole course, designed by David Dale and Ronald Fream and and rates amongst the best and the most scenic golf courses in the world. Highlights include:
– Compleat Golfer has rated Pezula Championship Course a Five Star Golf Experience since 2005
– Clubhouse facilities that are in keeping with the overall five-star experience
– Lounge, restaurant and bar leading onto a terrace with spectacular views
– Proshop, short game practice area and putting green
– Smaller private dining room and a separate function room with a bar & lounge
– Golf lessons available from the Club’s PGA Professionals
Contact Nigel Herd for golf bookings | Tel +27 44 302 5320 | email@example.com
2. Plettenberg Bay is home to Goose Valley Golf Course. This is a superbly lush 72 par, 18-hole signature golf course designed by renowned South African golfing great, Gary Player. Goose Valley is situated just outside Plettenberg Bay and borders on the Keurbooms Lagoon. The spectacular Tsitsikamma mountains and the famous Robberg peninsula keep guard over you as you play – how fabulous! Other highlights include:
– Club house with a spacious, elegant restaurant and bar (choice of light meals)
– Well-stocked pro-shop (green fees, golf cart and golf club hire)
– State-of-the-art driving range with practice chipping, putting and bunker play facilities
– Indigenous trees, picturesque views and water features provide a challenge to golfers of all abilities
– Natural fynbos, indigenous trees and an abundance of animal and bird life
– Year round play (the golf course is structured on a sand dune allowing for easy draining of the course)
Both estates mentioned above have the facility of renting clubs and golf carts. If you’re not a novice golfer, don’t worry – both clubs offer assistance. For your convenience, here’s a quick reference guide to golfing terms and clubs.
For self-catering luxury accommodation located at Pezula Golf Estate and Goose Valley, look no further…
1. Golf estate luxury at Blue Horizon, Pezula (Knysna) – perfect for golfing enthusiasts!
Blue Horizon is a luxurious residence offering the ultimate in comfort and relaxation. Built to the highest specification, the property occupies a spectacular clifftop location on the exclusive, secure development: Pezula Golf Estate (formerly Sparrebosch Estate). This estate holds the world famous Pezula Golf Course and is next to the Pezula hotel and Spa and Gym, making it a top choice for golf enthusiasts.
Dreams are made of Blue Horizon. This property is so spectacular that photographs don’t do it justice! To be awoken by sea air and crashing waves beneath the deck and to hear seagulls and the Knysna Loerie (a magnificent bird with a distinctive call) are just a few of the many perks of this luxury rental property! Sleeps 8 maximum with 4 ensuite bedrooms (2 king, 2 queen, 1 king convertible to twin beds) and state-of-the-art kitchen.
When is Blue Horizon available for booking? Currently, it’s available for bookings anytime during the period 19th March to 30th March (2015)*. The period 14th April to the 30th April (2015) is also available*. The month of May (2015) is currently free for bookings in advance*. To avoid missing out, book now! For more information on this luxurious rental and to make your bookings, click here.
2. Scenery and tranquility at No.1 The Meadows (Plett) – golf and leisure at Goose Valley
No.1 The Meadows is set within a small, secure estate and borders the exclusive and world-renown Goose Valley Golf Course. The huge and impressive main house has been designed and built to exacting standards with top quality joinery, finishes and furnishings throughout.
The home has many stunning objects d’arts from local artists and potters and also has a cottage on the grounds. The heart of the property is the stunning heated swimming pool surrounded by decking and luxuriously comfortable outdoor furniture. Being totally private and secure, The Meadows is quiet, peaceful, very safe for children and an idyllic setting for an unforgettable vacation. Being right on the golf estate it also allows access to a sublime golfing game should you so be inclined. No. 1 The Meadows sleeps 18 maximum (12 in the main house and 6 maximum in the cottage).
When is No.1 The Meadows available for booking? Currently, it’s available for bookings anytime during the period 11th March to 21st March (2015)*. The period 19th April to the 30th April (2015) is also available*. The month of May (2015) is currently free for bookings in advance*. To avoid missing out, book now as this property gets booked up rather quickly (especially as the Easter holidays approach). For more information on this luxurious rental and to make your bookings, click here.
*Dates stated correct at time of publication of this article, but the property may have been booked for these dates in the interim. Please check the availability calendar of the property featured above.
Photos of respective golf estates courtesy Goose Valley Golf Estate and Pezula Golf Estate