Holiday time is here, December already!
It’s that time of year when parents and spouses wrack their brain for something ‘different’ to do this holiday season.
Knysna is right on our doorstep and home to one of the most majestic of the ‘Big 5’ – the Elephant.
The whole family can benefit from visiting the natural wonder of the Outshoorn and Knysna forests along the garden Route.
What a splendid idea for an end of year vacation!
We’re about to give you all the must know details about this once in a lifetime experience – to see these creatures in their natural habitat in the unspoilt beauty of Knysna…
Looking for a unique holiday rental as a couple, or for the whole family? Prime self-catering luxury accommodation at the coast during December and/or January in Knysna, Plett, or Noetzie is at your fingertips. Dav1es Villa Rentals has an impressive selection of top exclusive holiday rentals!
Did you know that the Knysna Elephants are the only elephants in South Africa not to be confined by fences? This open approach lends itself to bridging the gap between wildlife and human existence. This also means that intimate feeding tours and ‘meeting’ the elephants in their natural habitat can be facilitated through humane elephant parks – much to the delight of hundreds of adults and children each year! Here are some other fabulous facts about these majestic creatures:
The Knysna elephant is the southern most elephant in the world
- The San people (original human inhabitants of the Southern Cape) depicted the Knysna elephant in their rock art
- Long left to the realm of myth and legend, new camera trap photographs (taken in 2014) prove that elephants still roam around the Garden Route forests!
- DNA analysis has revealed the existence of five previously unknown, female Knysna elephants!
- The Knysna elephants are so good at navigating through the forest on pathways that foresters frequently plot roadways and tracks in the same way. One such example is Bloukrans Pass – which follows an original elephant track.
- If you’re lucky enough to find a fresh heap of elephant dung while walking in the forests – it’s sold for R300 per heap to local community members who use it to make a soup – believed to have numerous health benefits.
‘This rental property was magnificent, complete luxury surrounded by unspoilt natural beauty …’
If you’d like to sample the glorious nature of Knysna from the comfort of a luxury swimming pool and balcony, then Eagle House has it all.
Surrounded by breath-taking views to the horizon and perfectly perched on a cliff overlooking the Knysna lagoon, Eagle House gives you a bird’s eye view to Knysna and the Knysna Heads. Refreshing breezes blow through he indoor outdoor flow, with summer sun basking the deck. This rental has fabulous entertainment facilities – for both children and adults, the perfect destination for a ‘friends and family’ gathering. Eagle house sleeps 11 people maximum, with huge kitchen and laundry room, lounge and verandah. A games room and dining area is also wonderfully furnished. Located on a 3rd level below the main residence is a 1-bedroom self-contained apartment overlooking the pool – ideal for grandparents, a maid or nanny or teenagers.
When is the Eagle House rental (above) in Knysna available for bookings?
This luxury rental has already had block bookings snapped up, but is currently free anywhere between 1st December (2014) – 19 December (2014)*. It also has the period from the 7th January (2015) until the 31st January (2015) available for entire or part-thereof bookings.* Make your booking here!
*Dates stated correct at time of publication of this article, but the property may have been booked for these dates in the interim. Please check the availability calendar here.