It’s here! Every year in July, Knysna sets the stage for one of it’s biggest events: The 10-day Knysna Oyster Festival. People of all ages converge in Knysna to savour delicious Oysters that are served up in their hundreds for the festival. Not only is the festival a chance to sample delicious food and wines, but it’s also an opportunity to take part in some wonderful events.
10 Fabulous facts about the Knysna Oyster Festival:
1. The Knysna Oyster Festival takes place during the South African winter school holidays in June / July. The festival is held in breathtaking town of Knysna.
2. More than 100 exciting activities are spread over a ten-day period. There’s something for everyone!
3. There is always a fantastic Wine Festival and Night Market.
4. While you’re taking part in the festival you’ll also be charitable. Every official event at the Knysna Oyster Festival must benefit a local non profit organisation or charity.
5. Kids will be kept busy with daily creative culinary workshops and live kiddies entertainment. The Pick ‘n Pay Young Oyster Festival takes place daily at the festival pavilion. For children 8-12 years old, activities will include mural painting and herb gardening.
6. A FREE shuttle service will be available on a daily basis. The shuttle usually departs every half hour. The service runs from 9am until 4:30pm.
7. The Sony Max stages host well known performers and musicians and a variety of comedians, live music, and shows will keep you entertained.
8. The Knysna Oyster Festival ‘Flavours of Knysna served with Tabasco’ is an event not to be missed whereby a total of 19 Tabasco Hotspots will be set up in Knysna for the duration of the festival.
9. The Oyster Gala Dinner honours senior visiting Naval officers. This special event is open to the public. The popular SA Navy Dance Band will perform during the evening.
10. More than 50,000 visitors attend the festival during the 10 days of festivities.
This year the Knysna Oyster Festival will is a real treat for the whole family.
Festival Times (subject to change):
Friday – 1pm-12am
Saturday – 8am-6pm
It’s that time of the year where everyone is urged to come out of their shells and have a great time! – Greg Vogt, CEO of Knysna Tourism
Like this? Find more by following us on Facebook and keep up to date with everything happening in the area, travel tips, weather updates and more: