Every winter, Knysna sets the stage for one of it’s biggest events: The 10-day Knysna Oyster Festival. People of all ages converge in Knysna to take part in this huge sporting event and savour delicious oysters and other food and wine specialities served up in their hundreds during the festival. This year it will be taking place from 21 – 30 June.
10 Fabulous facts about the Knysna Oyster Festival:
1. The Knysna Oyster Festival takes place during the South African winter school holidays in June / July. The festival is held in the breathtaking town of Knysna.
2. More than 100 exciting activities are spread over a ten-day period. There’s something for everyone!
3. There is always a fantastic Wine Festival and Night Market.
4. While you’re taking part in the festival you’ll also be charitable. Every official event at the Knysna Oyster Festival must benefit a local non profit organisation or charity.
5. Kids will be kept busy with a daily selection of activities, including face painting, glitter tattoos and Jumping Castle at the Knysna Mall. The Spur Children’s Cycle Tour will take place on the 23rd of June. Prizes will be given for Best dressed child, Best dressed parent and Best dressed ride! For those that enjoy art, join the Kids Pavement art competition at Woodmill Lane. Entrants needs to create chalk pictures on the pavements according to a theme, for a chance to win great prizes.
6. A FREE shuttle service will be available on a daily basis. The shuttle usually departs every half hour. The service runs from 9am until 4:30pm.
7. Various venues will host well known performers and musicians through out the festival. Love singing in the shower? Then don’t miss out on taking part in the Hornlee Nite Spot Karaoke Competition starting on the 22nd of June at the Hornlee Hotel.
8. Participating restaurants in Knysna offer oyster promotions for the duration of the festival.
9. Visitors to the festival can look forward to these new events this year:
– Murder Mystery Dinners (Various dates)
– IKASI Colour Fun Run ( 22 June)
– Knysna Oyster Festival Basketball Tournament (22 June)
– Burger Eating Competition (29 June)
– Knysna Knights Oyster Festival Open Rapid Chess Tournament
– Forest Family Hike (24 June)
– Forest Family Trail Run (26 June & 28 June)
– MTB Meander (25 June)
10. More than 50,000 visitors attend the festival during the 10 days of festivities.
This year the Knysna Oyster Festival will is a real treat for the whole family.
Festival Times (subject to change):
Friday – 1pm-12am
Saturday – 8am-6pm
It’s that time of the year where everyone is urged to come out of their shells and have a great time! – Greg Vogt, Previous CEO of Knysna Tourism
Like this? Find more by following us on Facebook and keep up to date with everything happening in the area, travel tips, weather updates and more: