Choosing self-catering accommodation really makes life easy and can be a liberating opportunity to try new recipes. If holidaying with children, then self-catering is definitely the name of the game. Eating out can be difficult with little ones, so staying in needs to be convenient and above all, tasty! If it’s an all-adult affair, self-catering still needs to be en pointe and appetizing to make the holiday extra special.
What to take when staying in self-catering accommodation:
Gorgeous healthy food can be prepped in minutes if you are staying in luxury self catering accommodation as the kitchens tend to be spacious and above all, well equipped. If you are staying at one of our properties in Plettenberg Bay, Knysna or Noetzie there are lots of grocery stores and food outlets well renowned for their fresh produce; essential when cooking ‘on the go’. Most town grocers will also extend evening shopping hours in holiday season.
If one knows what ingredients to pack for a beach picnic for example, the rest is really easy.
Most luxury rental holiday properties have state-of-the-art kitchens catering for great entertaining and self-catering needs. This means that the hard part is taken care of, all you need to do is plan a little ahead.
Here are five great tips to help planning for a self catering holiday:
1. Squeeze bottles are the best option for coastal holidays (be it peri-peri sauce, olive oil or tomato sauce for hot dogs on the beach). This eliminates the chances of spillage or breakage. In addition, plastic is super easy to carry to the pool deck compared to bulky glass jars and bottles.
2. One-pot cooking is the way to go when on holiday – no one likes piles of dishes! Make sure the property has a good sharp knife too. There is nothing worse than a blunt knife in the kitchen.
3. For the adults take things that age well (wine, aged cheeses, dry crackers, biltong (A great South African snack) dark chocolate, coffee). These items keep well and are likely to be great sundowner snacks too!
4. Foods that cook quickly in hot water. Think couscous, noodles, spaghetti. Add some herbs, feta, pumpkin seeds and cherry tomatoes. Viola, a gorgeous healthy meal.
5. Patés and dips. Hummus and Salsa. Pop off to the grocery store daily for deliciously fresh local breads and wraps and you’re all set for gourmet poolside snacks.
Remember that if you have an iPad or tablet handy, a cooking app can be handy like on the Jamie Oliver website. This is also a great opportunity to try dishes inspired by others’ travels around the world.
Right, so the meals are prepped and planned – now to find a luxury coastal rental with a great kitchen! All our houses have fantastic kitchens. This week we feature House By The Sea in Plettenberg Bay has a superb kitchen for total self-catering bliss. There is also a bar and barbecue/braai area with an observation deck – perfect for evening drinks and snacks while watching the sunset.
When is Home By The Sea available for booking? Book now for an Easter getaway as most of April is still available! Sporadic days in February and March are also free for booking self-catering accommodation at this sought-after spot in 2015).* For further information and to make your bookings, click here.
*Dates stated correct at time of publication of this article, but the property may have been booked for these dates in the interim. Please check the availability calendar of the property featured above.