It’s here! Every year in July, Knysna sets the stage for one of it’s biggest events: The 10-day Knysna Oyster Festival. People of all ages converge in Knysna to savour delicious Oysters that are served up in their hundreds for the festival. Not only is the festival a chance to sample delicious food and wines, but it’s also an opportunity to take part in some wonderful events.
10 fabulous facts about the Knysna Oyster Festival:
1. The Knysna Oyster Festival (2015) takes place during the South African winter school holidays from the 3rd to the 12th July. The festival is held in breathtaking Knysna.
2. More than 100 exciting activities are spread over a ten-day period. There’s something for everyone!
3. The Knysna Wine Festival and Night Market takes place on Monday 6th and Tuesday 7th July.
4. While you’re taking part in the festival you’ll also be charitable. Every official event at the Knysna Oyster Festival must benefit a local non profit organisation or charity.
5. Kids will be kept busy with daily creative culinary workshops and live kiddies entertainment. The Pick ‘n Pay Young Oyster Festival will take place daily at the festival pavilion. For children 8-12 years old, activities will include mural painting and herb gardening.
6. A FREE shuttle service will be available on a daily basis. The shuttle will depart every half hour. The service runs from 9am until 4:30pm. The shuttle is available from the 3rd to the 11th July. Schedules are available to show intended routes.
7. The Sony Max stages will host performers such as Kahn Morbee, Kurt Darren, and Desmond and the Tutus. A variety of comedians, live music, and shows will keep you entertained.
8. The Knysna Oyster Festival ‘Flavours of Knysna served with Tabasco’ will take place on Wednesday the 8th July. A total of 19 Tabasco Hotspots will be set up in Knysna for the duration of the festival.
9. The Oyster Gala Dinner on Friday the 10th July honours senior visiting Naval officers. This special event is open to the public. The popular SA Navy Dance Band will perform during the evening.
10. More than 50,000 visitors are expected to attend the festival during the 10 days of festivities.
This year the Knysna Oyster Festival will be a real treat for the whole family. The events listed above are just some of the festival highlights. Make sure to download the full program line up.
Friday – 1pm-12am
Saturday – 8am-6pm
It’s that time of the year where everyone is urged to come out of their shells and have a great time! – Greg Vogt, CEO of Knysna Tourism
Don’t forget that the Momentum Weekend Argus Knysna Cycle Tour kicks off the festival. Other notable sporting events include the Momentum Cape Times Knysna Forest Marathon and Half Marathon. While the marathons are likely to be fully booked at this stage, it provides a chance for you to take part as a valuable spectator from the sidelines. Make sure you have a chilled oyster in hand and a glass of ‘bubbly’.
Looking for a place to stay in Knysna?
Have a look at the magnificent Sea House below…
There is also a further selection of exclusive rental properties (in Plettenberg Bay, Noetzie and Knysna) available at Dav1es exclusive properties.
Get regular Knysna news, first.
If you haven’t yet ‘Liked’ the Dav1es Exclusive Holiday Rentals Facebook Page, pop over and have a look at all the Garden Route news and helpful tips we provide on a regular basis. Find out ‘What’s On’ in Knysna and which places and activities in Plett come recommended. All that and so much more, right at your fingertips.